Thursday, November 18, 2010

A little bit rant, a little bit rejoice!

Okay, a little background to both.  Obviously we're trying to have a baby.  We've had three pregnancies and three miscarriages (the most recent one the day before our anniversary).  With 3 miscarriages you are no longer someone with "bad luck" but now someone with an "issue" that the doctors start to take a little more seriously. 

Not to say that my current doctor isn't amazing, she is.  She's been very proactive since my first visit with her a year ago in October.  At the first visit she discovered my Thyroid issues and had me see a General Practitioner to get put on medication.  After the second pregnancy (and then miscarriage) she upped that medication and put me on Progesterone for a future pregnancy.  With the most recent pregnancy I was on Progesterone 2 times a day.  But again, it ended in miscarriage. 

At the appointment to finish everything with that up we discussed next steps.  Those being tests, and lots of them.  She mentioned some slightly scary words (Lupus) and told me to call the office when I got my next period.  Let me tell you, the next 4 weeks seemed to take FOREVER.  And Google certainly was not my friend during that time.  It should not be allowed to research medical topics on your own.  All it does is freak you out and make you think you have all sorts of horrible diseases.  I had convinced myslef that I had Lupus in that month.  I had all of the symptoms.

There, that's it.  Blood work not necessary Doctor, I've got it all figured out.

Or so I thought.  I had said blood work done on November 8th (8 vials of blood, people. 8.)  and was told to make an appointment to go over all of the findings for 2 weeks later.  So I made an appointment for the 23rd.  And I thought waiting for my period felt like forever. And then this past Tuesday they called to say they had the results and wanted me to come in the next day.  Awesome!  Although the urgency didn't help my wandering mind.  I spent Tuesday night convincing myself even more of my own Lupus diagnosis.

So, yesterday I met with the doctor. And a few of my fears were squashed! One, obviously, Lupus.  The second, was that they wouldn't find anything at all and we would have no answers. 

Well folks, we have some answers! I have a gene mutation called, get ready for it, Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase or MTHFR.  Lee is referring to it as Mother F*cker cause he likes the sound of that better.  So what does this mean?  My body doesn't metabolise Folic Acid the way it is supposed to and apparently Folic Acid is pretty important in the baby brewing process.  And, not only did we get some answers folks, we got some solutions!!! Double bonus!  I now have to take 4 mg of Folic Acid daily (the average dose is less than 1 mg-they don't even make 4 mg pills so I get to take 4 1 mg pills a day!).  Also one of the MANY tests for Lupus did come back a little bit on the positive side, which basically means my body has some issues with blood clotting that could interfere with the placenta and it's attachment to the uterus.  So, I also get to take baby Aspirin daily too! 

So, this brings my daily pill popping habit up to a whopping 8 pills daily! One for the Thyroid, 2 pre-natal vitamins, 4 Folic Acid pills and 1 baby aspirin!  Whew!

All in all, I am very excited to have some answers that come with pretty easy fixes.  The doctor was VERY optimistic too.  She wants a full month's worth of all of this in my system before we get to try again, and while I'm very anxious to get started again, I know waiting a little longer is only for the best.

Now, for my rant.  EVERYONE is pregnant.  And while the above news has taken some of the sting out of that, I'm having an especially hard time with the people (okay, one person in particular-but I'm not naming names) on Facebook who post CONSTANTLY about their pregnancies.  This person has one child already (and for some reason people who are already on baby #2 when I can't even get 1 down are really bugging the sh*t out of me) and her and I would have had the same due date before the most recent miscarriage.  She "outed" herself on FB a couple weeks ago and ever since she posts practically hourly updates on the state of her stomach or the fact that she's tired, nauseous and/or her clothes don't fit.  I would give ANYTHING to be exhausted and fat and barfing (though remind me of this post when I am and I may be singing a different tune).  She's not a Negative Nancy by any means and is genuinely excited about her pregnancy, as she should be, but I cannot stand being slapped in the face with it every time I log on.  I can't say anything to her, and I know this, but I just wish people understood that we don't need updates quite so frequently.  I'm sure to those out there who are not trying or anywhere near the point of children don't appreciate the "bump updates" either.

I mean, announce the pregnancy, great.  Let us know the sex when you find out, sure.  Post an ultrasound picture here or there, perfect.  Maybe you had a maternity photo shoot, throw some of those up for good measure too.  But I honestly don't need to know that your maternity jeans don't fit yet or that you're craving a slurpee today.  Nor do I need to see the weekly belly shots.  This is all what blogs are for, and you have one.  I know, because you posted that on FB too.

Now, I know I have a different perspective on all of this and things may have been completely different had I not had any problems in this department.  I may have been the one buggin the sh*t out of all of you on FB with pictures of my big ol' belly painted to look like a Jack O' Lantern on Halloween (true story-although different person) and hourly status updates on my ability or inability to button my pants (though, I could already start that one....currently, unbuttoned, but I just ate lunch!). So I haven't, nor will I, said anything to the "offenders." But I needed to get it out, vent a bit, and have something to remind me to keep it simple on Facebook WHEN we do have awesome news to share.

That's all folks.  Phew, I get wordy when I don't post much! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are finding some answers and that Lupis isn't an issue. I do like Lee's nickname for your case too!

    ReplyDelete